The Prime Minister of Malta, Joseph Muscat, has recently responded to a Parliamentary question, and confirmed that there are 7 applications relating to new yacht marinas in Malta and Gozo.
The proposals are a new yacht pontoon for Sliema, the redevelopment of the dock area at Cospicua, the redevelopment of an unused water polo pitch in Marsascala including mixed use facilities, such as residential and tourist accommodation, commercial spaces and an all-weather yacht marina, as well as boat mooring, yacht berths and a floating pontoon for Ghajnsielem, and the installation of a new marina with improvements to the landside at Sa Maison in Floriana.
Whether or not these applications will be approved and when is not clear. However, these proposals reflect the demand for mooring spaces in Malta, as many of the available marinas are filling up quickly. Malta is now the 6th largest ship register in the world, and the largest in Europe, and more yacht owners and commercial fleets are choosing Malta as a flag country.
Some of the reasons why Malta is such a popular flag country are the favourable taxation and low cost for registration or VAT when a yacht is purchased. The government is offering some attractive incentives for yacht owners to re-flag to Malta, and it is worth comparing the options you have. If you would like more information about the re-flagging process and the advantages you are welcome to contact the legal office of Dr. Werner & Partner in Malta. We are also specialised in the yacht registration and have assisted many clients to purchase their yacht and take advantage of the low costs and VAT.
- Security Token Offerings — STOs - 19. December 2018
- Crypto Exchange Malta — Part 3 - 17. December 2018
- Crypto Currency Exchange — Part 2 — Legal issues in Malta - 14. December 2018
- Crypto currency exchange — Part 1 — Basics - 12. December 2018
- Virtual Financial Asset (VFA) Licences in Malta - 13. October 2018
- Malta’s Prime Minister Muscat Defends The Finance Industry - 22. February 2018
- The Case of Galizia- Malta’s Murdered Journalist - 24. January 2018
- New Car Sharing System in Malta Provides Hope - 20. January 2018
- Throwback for Dr. Werner & Partner: 2017 - 29. December 2017
- Arrests in Malta After Murder of Journalist Galizia - 5. December 2017