Dr. Binder is admitted as “Rechtsanwalt” (Attorney-at-Law) under Austrian law (Vienna Bar Association) and registered to practice in Malta (Ministry of Justice, Valletta) under this home country title. He advises Dr Werner & Partner as an external counsel with his area of expertise being international commercial arbitration and dispute resolution as well as all matters pertaining to Austrian, German and Swiss law.
Nominations as arbitrator or counsel in international arbitral proceedings and mandates as law reform consultant to foreign governments belong to Dr. Binder’s core working area whereby in doing the latter he has advised numerous governments such as the Republic of Georgia, the Maldives and the Cayman Islands (to name but a few) on the implementation of modern arbitration and alternative dispute resolution laws and the setting up of arbitration centres.
Education & Court Admissions
Dr. Binder holds degrees from the University of Vienna (Magister iuris), University of Salzburg (Doctor iuris with honours) and King’s College London (LL.M. in International Business Law) whereby his specialization on international commercial arbitration developed in early years. Over the years Dr. Binder has worked in several top law firms in Austria as well as for the United Nations (UNCITRAL), various European universities as lecturer and governments as consultant.
English, German & French
- “International Commercial Arbitration and Mediation in UNCITRAL Model Law Jurisdictions”, 4th edition, Kluwer Law International, The Hague (2019)
- “Analytical Commentary to the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules”, Thomson/Reuters/Sweet & Maxwell Publishing, London (2013)
- “International Commercial Arbitration and Conciliation in UNCITRAL Model Law Jurisdictions”, 3rd edition, Sweet & Maxwell Publishing, London (2010)
- “International Commercial Arbitration and Conciliation in UNCITRAL Model Law Jurisdictions”, 2nd extended edition, Sweet & Maxwell Publishing, London (2005)
- “Stud. Jur. – Studium im Ausland: England”, Nomos Publishers, Baden-Baden, Germany (2001)
- “International Commercial Arbitration in UNCITRAL Model Law Jurisdictions”, 1st edition, Sweet & Maxwell Publishing, London (2000)