Last year was a truly amazing year for the film industry in Malta. In the second half of 2014 the industry generated around 28 million euros for the Maltese economy. This 650% increase, compared to the same period of last year, was the result of 9 major film productions.
There is currently a process underway for an agreement of cooperation of the film industries between China and Malta. The Tourism minister Edward Zammit also announced that there is going to be the first Chinese film production to be shot in Malta. It will be called Sonata Malta.
The Malta Film Fund is now going to be revised, as the Film Commission invested around 1 million euros in training Maltese film workers and artists. This investment has paid off, and the fund has an allocation of 250.000 euros for this year.
This great result confirms the growth of the movie industry in Malta. The islands are becoming more popular as a filming location, and great productions, such as World War Z, By the Sea, Gladiator, Troy and the TV series Game of Thrones have used filming locations on Malta and Gozo.
In order to promote Malta as an attractive filming location the government also offers fiscal incentives in form of cash rebates and a VAT refunds. This is possible through a filming company that needs to be established directly in Malta. If you would like more information about how to get this refund with your filming company, you are welcome to contact us at the office of Dr. Werner & Partner.
- Initial Coin Offering (ICO) vs. Security Token Offering (STO) in 2019 - 3. April 2019
- Security Token Offerings — STOs - 19. December 2018
- Crypto Exchange Malta — Part 3 - 17. December 2018
- Crypto Currency Exchange — Part 2 — Legal issues in Malta - 14. December 2018
- Crypto currency exchange — Part 1 — Basics - 12. December 2018
- Virtual Financial Asset (VFA) Licences in Malta - 13. October 2018
- Malta’s Prime Minister Muscat Defends The Finance Industry - 22. February 2018
- The Case of Galizia- Malta’s Murdered Journalist - 24. January 2018
- New Car Sharing System in Malta Provides Hope - 20. January 2018
- Throwback for Dr. Werner & Partner: 2017 - 29. December 2017