Moving to Malta — Information about the ID card, jobs and renting

Many peo­ple are put off by the idea of mov­ing to anoth­er coun­try because they fear not being able to han­dle the bureau­cra­cy involved, or they sim­ply do not know where to start. It can be a bit daunt­ing hav­ing to find your way around in a new coun­try where the rules are dif­fer­ent, but it is cer­tain­ly not an impos­si­ble task. Espe­cial­ly with the Inter­net at hand, things have become much sim­pler, and there are many web­sites for expa­tri­ates pro­vid­ing infor­ma­tion about the impor­tant things to con­sid­er when liv­ing in anoth­er coun­try. In today’s arti­cle, I would like to point out a few things that might be of impor­tance when you decide to move to Mal­ta.

Reg­is­ter­ing and apply­ing for a Mal­tese ID card

When you live in Mal­ta for longer than three months and take up res­i­dence you are oblig­ed to reg­is­ter for an ID card and the res­i­dence. If you are also start­ing a job here you will also need to apply for a Social Secu­ri­ty num­ber, which is often con­nect­ed to obtain­ing the ID card. Depend­ing on what you are doing in Mal­ta you will need to hand in your doc­u­men­ta­tion and the appli­ca­tion. You can find more infor­ma­tion about the required doc­u­ments here. It will usu­al­ly take around 8 weeks until you have your ID.

Find­ing a job

Start­ing a career in Mal­ta can be a good option if you have sought-after skills. Espe­cial­ly the iGam­ing and finance indus­try are boom­ing, and there are a lot of jobs in finance, IT, cus­tomer rela­tions and admin­is­tra­tion. Many com­pa­nies are also look­ing for peo­ple who are able to speak mul­ti­ple lan­guages. The prob­a­bly most pop­u­lar way of find­ing a job is to reg­is­ter with recruit­ing agen­cies. Most of the adver­tised vacan­cies are being pub­lished by recruiters, and you will find them in abun­dance. Bet­ting Con­nec­tions and Pen­ta­sia are for exam­ple two of the largest recruit­ing agen­cies for the iGam­ing indus­try, but there are many more. If you find a job through one of the agen­cies the com­mis­sion will be paid by the employ­er, and you will not have to pay any­thing.

Rent­ing an apart­ment

Malta’s prop­er­ty mar­ket is huge. More build­ings are being built, and there are a lot of flats that are wait­ing for some­one to move in. How­ev­er, if you want to live cheap­ly in a pop­u­lar area, it will be more dif­fi­cult in the sum­mer months, as the island gets more crowd­ed with peo­ple mov­ing to Mal­ta for the sea­son. The best time of year to look for a nice flat is in autumn or win­ter. It is com­mon to rent apart­ments through estate agen­cies, and there are a large num­ber of agen­cies adver­tis­ing flats. How­ev­er, do not trust what they show you on the web­site, these prop­er­ties are usu­al­ly just for ref­er­ence. You should con­tact the estate agen­cies and give them infor­ma­tion about what you are look­ing for, and they will tell you what they have avail­able. When rent­ing a flat through an estate agent you will also have to pay the agency fee of usu­al­ly 50% of a month­ly rent plus VAT.

About Philipp Sauerborn

In 2005, Philipp Sauer­born joined the firm of St. Matthew in Lon­don, one of the lead­ing Ger­man account­ing firms in Eng­land renowned for its exper­tise in cor­po­rate, com­mer­cial and tax law, as a depart­ment head. After three years, he was a part­ner and man­ag­ing direc­tor.
Towards the end of 2011, he decid­ed to move to Mal­ta, where he first worked at inter­na­tion­al law firms and con­sul­tan­cies in an employed and con­sult­ing capac­i­ty. Since the begin­ning of 2013, he has been a senior employ­ee at Dr. Wern­er & Part­ner. Mr. Sauer­born is cur­rent­ly com­plet­ing his ADIT ‑Advanced Diplo­ma in Inter­na­tion­al Tax.

View All Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.