The movie production industry in Malta is still a relatively small, yet fast growing sector. Many Hollywood productions have already used the Maltese islands as a filming location, and these have made the island even more popular. One of the first great blockbusters filmed in Malta was the movie Popeye. The movie required a film set to be built — it was a village entirely made out of wooden houses. Wood is rare in Malta, which meant that the construction material had to be imported. The village still stands today and has become the popular tourist attraction Popeye village.
A recent movie, By The Sea, starring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, has been filmed on location in Gozo last year. It was not the first time for Brad Pitt to film in Malta, parts of the movie World War Z were shot in Valletta. Other great productions were parts of the first season of Game of Thrones, Gladiator and Troy. These are only a handful of examples about the productions that were filmed here. Up to date, there have been shot over 100 movie productions and plenty of TV series in Malta, and the industry has created many jobs.
The government of Malta offers production companies attractive fiscal, cash and financial incentives. These incentives come in form of a cash rebate that apply to the expenses occurring during filming. The VAT is also refundable. Malta also offers the option of a refund of the corporate tax of a company that is registered in Malta, but owned by a foreign Holding company or shareholders.
If you are considering Malta as a filming location you will probably also be interested in establishing a project-based company. At the office of Dr. Werner & Partner you can get legal advice on company formations in Malta. You are welcome to contact us if you require more information.
- Initial Coin Offering (ICO) vs. Security Token Offering (STO) in 2019 - 3. April 2019
- Security Token Offerings — STOs - 19. December 2018
- Crypto Exchange Malta — Part 3 - 17. December 2018
- Crypto Currency Exchange — Part 2 — Legal issues in Malta - 14. December 2018
- Crypto currency exchange — Part 1 — Basics - 12. December 2018
- Virtual Financial Asset (VFA) Licences in Malta - 13. October 2018
- Malta’s Prime Minister Muscat Defends The Finance Industry - 22. February 2018
- The Case of Galizia- Malta’s Murdered Journalist - 24. January 2018
- New Car Sharing System in Malta Provides Hope - 20. January 2018
- Throwback for Dr. Werner & Partner: 2017 - 29. December 2017